Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Meat loaf or is that meatloaf

Meatloaf is very much a North American dish, I do not remember it in England growing up, and it is not something I have made very often.  But a couple of weeks ago The Superstore (or Stupid store as we affectionately call it) had a meat loaf tin with a lift out insert to drain the fat.  This really appealed to me and I bought it so this Sunday when it was Superbowl I had to make Meatloaf.



I checked on the Internet for recipes, but most of them included packaged food of some description and I kind of knew what I wanted to do. So this is what I did.



2lbs ground beef
1/2lb ground pork
1 cup of fine breadcrumbs
1 large onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of chipotle chili powder
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
A handful of chopped cilantro
salt and pepper

I mixed all the ingredients together and pushed them in to my fancy new meatloaf pan.


I placed this in a pre heated 350 oven for about an hour then I spread on the topping.  Nearly all the recipes I found talked about tomato ketchup so I followed suit.

Topping

1/2 cup of tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon of franks hot sauce
1 tablespoon of HP sauce.

Rather vibrant topping
I cooked it for a further 15 minutes then took it out and let it sit for about 10 minutes while I added copious amounts of butter to potatoes and whipped them up to deliciousness.

Then using the fancy dancy insert I lifted out the meatloaf.'


Just look how much grease came out of the meatloaf, now it is positively healthy, oh but then there are those potatoes.  Any way it was a good Superbowl meal to eat in front of the television not a normal thing for this family.



1 comment: