Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A salad for fall with pear dressing and pecans



Though the temperatures belie it, fall is well and truly in full swing, and even if it is still warm and sunny somehow I still feel like fall flavours and want to be wearing boots and wool skirts.  So when I was making a salad on Saturday night I was inspired by the beautiful pears sitting in the warm autumn sunshine on the counter.


Several years ago I saw Jamie Oliver make a salad dressing by grating pears and so I though I would give it a go.

Pear salad dressing

  • 1 Pear grated (with out the peel)
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar




The pears were not soft, almost the texture of an apple, but when I grated it, the flesh went mushy.


I added the lemon juice right away to stop the pear from discouloring, and then added the remaining ingredients when I had finished.


I used half of this dressing to make a salad for 3 using one romaine lettuce.  To the lettuce I added 1/4 red onion thinly sliced and about 1/4 cup of roasted pecans  some valdosta pecans would have been very good here, but unfortunately there were none to hand. This made a delicious light dressing with just the right amount of fruitness.

I served this with a pork tenderloin roasted with a dry rub of chilli, cumin and paprika.


On the side we had pappadella pasta tossed with some roasted tomatoes and peppers.

Somehow this meal screamed fall at me.


No comments:

Post a Comment