Sunday, October 7, 2012

Avocado salad to pack for lunch

Starting September this year I have been taking my lunch to work every day. I am not really sure why the change,  previously I never took my lunch, I guess I am a bit of an all or nothing person.  Actually there are several factors, 1. to eat lighter to lose weight, 2. eat only food using natural ingredients, 3 spend less money and perhaps the most important, I got a little bag that is perfect for taking lunch.



Remember those shaken salads at Macdonalds?  It was a good idea and made with good ingredients it is a brilliant idea this is a take on that. I saw this idea on pinterest of making layered salad with the dressing on the bottom, they were made in canning jars, as are far too many things on pinterest.  I do not have any giant spare canning jars so a Rubbermaid container had to do.  Perhaps not quite so pretty, but very practical and available.  The idea is that you put the dressing on the bottom and then layer the ingredients making sure that anything that is going to get soggy by being in contact with the dressing is far above it.

1/4 red onion chopped
1 avocado chopped
Juice of one or one and half lemons
1 tablespoon of olive oil
salt/pepper
small handful of fresh basil and mint chopped
1 cup of chopped cherry tomatoes (from my garden!)
1/2 cup of sprouted beans (optional)
lettuce to fill the container

I have listed the ingredients in the order that I put them in to the container.


I tossed the avocado  in the lemon juice and oil to stop it from discolouring. Then added the ingredients in order.




Another view of the side, though it does look much prettier in a canning jar.


When it is all layered in put on the top and place in the perfect little lunch bag and take to work.  It sits in the work fridge until lunch time, and in one case 2 nights.  When ready to eat take out of the fridge turn it upside down and shake.


The lettuce is not soggy and you are not having to deal with a little container for dressing and it makes a perfect lunch.  This will sit for several days with no ill effect, and if I were a more organized person I would make several at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment