Saturday, September 29, 2012

Simple tomato soup and grilled cheese

I am wallowing in the glut of tasty fresh tomatoes this fall.  I have been canning and freezing enough tomato puree and roast tomato sauce to get me through the winter.  But last weekend I needed some lunch and really wanted to enjoy some of these wonderful tomatoes in season instead of just putting by for the winter. So I made my husband and I some fresh tomato soup and used up some left over brie to make a grilled cheese accompaniment, because tomato soup does love cheese sandwiches.


To make enough for 4


  • 1 tablespoon of garlic
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 1 garlic clove thinly sliced
  • 6 large tomatoes cut up (I do not bother to peel)
  • 1 handful of fresh basil chopped.
  • 2 cups of chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup of cream or milk
  • Salt and pepper


Cook the garlic and onion in the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat until the onion is transparent. Add the chopped tomatoes, basil and stock.




Cook for about 20 minutes, until the tomatoes have mostly broken down. You might want to add a little more stock or water to get the right consistency.


Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.  I always wait until my soups are finished for seasoning, as it really depends on the saltiness of the stock and how much it has reduced.  Put through a food processor or use a hand blender to get rid of most of the lumps of tomato.

I added a 1/4 cup of milk, cream really would have been better, but I am trying to cut down on calories, so milk it was.

In my fridge I had some brie cheese that was past it's prime, and I really can not remember when I got it, so this seemed the opportune time to use it up along with some day old french baguette.


I simply placed some slices of brie on top of the bread and grilled it under the broiler.


We had this sitting on the deck in the autumn sunshine savouring these last days of warmth and bounty of the harvest.


No comments:

Post a Comment