Sunday, September 9, 2012

Roast garlic and tomato pasta

Any one who knows me will know that I am not a lover of pasta, I am not sure why, because often when I have it, I think "oh this is not bad, maybe I like it this way" Any way if I am going to make pasta, I do not want my pasta overcooked and I do not want a jar of sauce poured over it.


Right now when all the produce is abundent and at it's best I wanted to make a pasta dish to be served as a side dish to some grilled chicken. Using all the fresh tomatoes and garlic that are available.

I harvested my tomato plants and this is what I got.


Obvoisly not enough to make a sauce for 11 people which is how many were coming for dinner, so I would have to supplement.  I had 1 jar of home canned tomato puree left from last summer, as I am now putting down for this summer this had to be used. So this is what I came up with.

This made enough as a side dish for 11 or main course for 6

  • 1 whole head of garlic cut in half 
  • About 3 cups of cherry tomatoes halved
  • 1 can of tomato puree (home made best, but a jar of Italian tomato puree second best)
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • 1 bunch of basil
  • 1 package of linguini or pasta of choice.


Place the tomatoes and garlic on a parchment lined cookie sheet sprinkle with salt, and drizzle a little olive oil over the garlic.


You will notice I had to add some bought baby plum tomatoes, but they were very tasty too. Bake this at 350 for about 1/2 an hour until the garlic is soft and the tomatoes have concentrated down a little.




Squidge the garlic out of its casing into a pot


Mix the roasted garlic with the olive oil, tomatoes and basil torn in to pieces.


This can sit and wait until you are ready to serve.  Cook the pasta until it is al dente, drain, but not completely, then add to the tomato garlic mixture and the tomato puree.


Mix thoroughly and heat through for a couple of minutes until everything is combined. Pour into the serving dish and sprinkle with some fresh basil leaves and freshly grated parmasan.


This was delicious, so maybe pasta is not so bad after all.  I remind myself of my friends mother who we went wine tasting with.  At every winery, when they produced a sweeter wine she would say "I don't usually like sweet wines, but I like this one". At the end of the day we told her actually she did like sweet wines, well maybe I actually do like pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment