Monday, September 3, 2012

Barbecued chili lime chicken

It is no secret I love spit roast meat and chicken, and the spit roast on my barbecue gets a regular work out during the summer.  I was making dinner for a couple of friends and my family on Sunday evening, so I picked up a large roasting chicken from Hopcotts, and was searching for a new flavour rub to use.


I saw a chili lime chick pea recipe that I thought I would like to try out some time, and thought that chili lime is a wonderful combination and would go very well with chicken.  So I made a chili lime rub for my spit roast chicken.  You could of course just roast this in a regular oven if the weather was not conducive to barbecuing or you are not lucky enough to have a spit roast.

Chili lime rub

3 tablespoons of chili powder (I used combination of chipotle and regular chili powder)
1 teaspoon of salt
grated rind of two limes


After I had grated the rind of the lime I sliced one of the them thinly and placed some slices under the skin of the breast and then squeezed the lime from the other lime all over the chicken and then rubbed the chili rub over the outside.


In the chicken cavity I placed the limes carcasses and one bulb of garlic cut in half.


I then trussed the chicken so that it would stay closed and not flop around on the spit and placed it on the spit and roasted it for 2 and 1/2 hours.  I find that spit roasting on the barbecue takes longer than in the oven and this was a very large chicken.


This chicken was extremely moist and flavourful, of course it was a free range "happy" chicken as we call them at home, which really helps. But the chili lime did really go well with the chicken. Now I am going to have to try that chili lime chickpea recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment