Saturday, September 1, 2012

Preserving summer, roast tomato sauce

I saw this idea on pinterest, which appears to be the newest way to suck time from my productive life. having said that I have seen several ideas that I want to give a try along with far too many that use packages of this and packages of that. Any way I happened upon this idea last week and thought since we are in full tomato season this along with canning would be a good way to preserve the wonderful taste of in season tomatoes to use in the in depths of winter.




I can not really give measurements, but I will give approximately what I used. I would normally not have sliced the onions so thin for this but I had a large ziploc bag of sliced onions that needed using up.

8 large field tomatoes cut in to chunks
1 large onion cut up
4 cloves of garlic peeled
bunch of basil torn in to large pieces
3 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper.

Place all the ingredients in a large roasting tin toss together and drizzle the olive oil over.




Place in a preheated 400 oven for about 45 minutes.  I stirred everything up about halfway through.  The tomatoes should be thoroughly cooked and starting to char on the edges.


Leave to cool slightly then in batches place in a food processor and wizz up to form a lovely rich thick sauce.


This sauce was so full of flavour it was amazing, and so simple. You could of course use this right away as a sauce for pasta, or a with a little chicken stock added it would make a wonderful soup.  I decided to freeze this sauce for later, it made enough for two medium containers of sauce to use this winter.


I have a brand new upright freezer, which I am determined to keep organized and inventoried, and so I even labeled the containers. Hopefully this will help in January when I open the door of the freezer and am faced with a multitude of filled containers, that I have no memory of placing there or any clue as to what they contain.

No comments:

Post a Comment