Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Home made baked potato chips (crisps)

One of my biggest weaknesses is salty snacks, and right on top of the list of salty snacks is potato chips (or crisps as we called them in England).  This is not something I give in to very often, and only buy them when we are entertaining, and even then I often avoid them as might eat them before any guests arrive.



This weekend when wandering aimlessly around Gourmet Warehouse avoiding the rain, I came across something I have been wanting for a while, a mandolin.

This was not the fancy wooden (expensive) french mandolins, but a plastic smaller (cheaper) version.  I picked this up for less than $20.00 and I could not wait to use it.  So when we arrived home I decided to experiment with making baked chips to snack on with a glass of wine.



I lined a couple of large cookie sheets with parchment paper drizzled a little olive oil over them and then set my cutter to the thinnest setting and sliced a couple of potatoes.


There is a guard to use after the first couple of slices, so that in fact you can slice the whole potato.  I laid the slices in a single layer on the cookie sheet and drizzled with a little olive oil. I have to say there is not much that goes in to my oven with out being drizzled with a little olive oil.


I placed this in a preheated 400 oven and set the timer for 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes I turned them all over and put back in for 2 minutes.  This is where it got a little time consuming, as the chips cooked very quickly and I checked every minute after this removing the slices that had gone golden.


It is a little finicky as they turn from golden to burnt in a matter of seconds.  I tossed these with a little salt and served warm from the oven.  The next day I made some for my son and I used a little spicy lime salt that I had left over from the sweet potato fries.  This was a big hit and there will obviously be much experimenting with different flavoured salts in the future.


My good friend Nancy, was concerned with me getting this tool, due to the very sharp blade and the careless way I cut and burn my self on a regular basis.  Well Nancy, you will be pleased to know that your concern was not misplaced and I cut my thumb the second time I used it :( but I promise to use the guard from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment