Wednesday, May 16, 2012

satay with peanut sauce

I love satay with peanut sauce, but most sauce recipes call for using peanut butter, I am sure that they do not use peanut butter in Thailand.  Any way I searched on the Internet and combining several different recipes I came up with this, which though it was delicious, was really an accompaniment rather than a sauce.  But this could have been because I made it in my mini chopper which is not very powerful and therefore did not pulverise the peanuts in to a paste.


1/2 onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove sliced
1 inch of ginger grated
1 tablespoon of oil
1 red Thai chili pepper chopped
1 cup of roasted peanuts
juice of one lime
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
handful of cilantro
2 tablespoons of water.

Cook the onion garlic ginger and chili pepper in the oil until softened.


Add this along with the remaining ingredients into a food processor or mini chopper.





whizz until you get the desired consistency, I would have liked mine a little smoother, but this little mini chopper just was not up to it.  But it really tasted good.

I made a combination of pork and chicken satay, since that is what I had for 10 people I used 4 chicken breasts and 1 pork tenderloin chopped into about 1 inch cubes.




 1 tablespoon brown sugar
 1 tablespoon  soy sauce
 a few drops Tabasco sauce
 1 clove garlic, crushed
 1 level teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated


Prepare the marinade, which simply means putting all the ingredients in a bowl and stir them thoroughly together. Then,  put the chicken or meat into the marinade, tossing and stirring them until they get a good coating. leave to marinate for at least 1/2 hour preferable 2 or three hours.

Just before eating preheat the barbecue, thread the meat on to soaked bamboo skewers.


Then turn one side of the barbecue to low and put on the skewers.



These only took about 15 minutes to cook through and it is important not to overcook as they can easily dry out. I served these along with some delicous lamb sausages I found at the local IGA and the peanut sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment