Saturday, April 14, 2012

Roast carrots and parsnips

To go along with my wonderful baked ham for Easter dinner, I wanted to use in season vegetables as much as possible. This early in Spring in Vancouver we still have to be relying on the root vegetables of the winter and asparagus. So I made a warm asparagus and almond salad and roasted some carrots and parsnips.


I often roast vegetables, but this was the first time that I had done just these two together and they were a match made in heaven.



I cut them in equal size thick sticks put them in a large roasting tin and tossed in olive oil and fresh chopped parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.  I used these herbs because that is what I have growing on my deck, but also because of the song, I couldn't help my self.


I threw them in a 400 oven for about 20 minutes while the ham was resting and the remainder of the dinner was getting put on the table.

Oh and I had my first gin and tonic of the season, roll on summer.

Sun and g&t they just go together
Any way the carrots and parsnips were a good side dish for the ham and I think that there must be a reason that they wrote a song about parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme they certainly go together well.


No comments:

Post a Comment