Sunday, April 22, 2012

Roast rack of pork with apples

We had a friend and her husband coming over for dinner on Saturday evening, but I was taking a ferry home that afternoon, speed was of the essence.  I really had lamb in mind when I headed to the store, but when I got to there this rack of pork was speaking to me. I love this cut of pork, it is fairly lean, but keeping it on the bone seems to add flavour as we well as keep it moist.


Also this is the perfect size to roast for four.

1 apple peeled and cut in to large chunks (I used granny smith)
1/2 onion sliced thickly
2 or 3 sprigs of fresh sage
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 rack of pork
1 cup of chicken stock.
1 glug of white wine (optional)

Place the apples onion and sage on the base of a small roasting tin sprinkle with the olive oil.



Place the pork on top and another sprig of sage.


Place in a 400 oven for about 15 minutes then turn down to 350 for a further 1/2 hour.  Then remove from the oven and pour in the chicken stock and stir up all the brown bits and the apple and onion.  The apple will have almost disintegrated.


Place back in the oven for a further 10 minutes, or until the pork is cooked through.  I like mine with just the very slightest hint of pink.  Remove the pork and let it rest for a few minutes.

 Place the roasting tin on top of the stove bring to the boil and stir to combine all the juices and bits.  Add a glug of wine if you happen to have one standing by.  Taste for seasoning and cook until the sauce has concentrated down a little and is full of flavour.


If you wanted to be fancy, you could strain or blend this sauce, but really I wanted it rustic and lumpy, the disintegrated apple thickens it slightly, so no need to add flour. Pour half the sauce on to the base of the serving dish then cut the pork between the bones lay on top and pour the remaining sauce on top.


We had this with some roasted peppers and eggplant, fresh steamed asparagus with some herb butter, a salad and bread to soak up the sauce.  This was quick and easy and though I say so myself very tasty.

1 comment:

  1. This sauce was so yummy but I might have used the wrong cut of pork. Could you recommend what cut to use if only making it for two?
    Thank you for posting such a yummy recipe

    ReplyDelete