Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ham with brown sugar mustard glaze.

I was hosting Easter dinner for the family this year and when I asked my sons and husband what they wanted, they all agreed, baked ham.  So I drove out to Hopcott's to pick up one of their hams and came home with a much larger ham than I had intended.  But after feasting on left over ham all week I do not regret it all.  Any way it was a beautiful ham and made a wonderful center piece to the Easter dinner table.



I cooked it simply, as I had every faith as it was from Hopcott's it would be a very good ham.  All at the dinner table said it was a great ham, was that because it was just a good ham or did the cooking method have something to do with it?  I guess I will never know, but any way this is how I cooked it.

one picnic ham (in this case it was boneless)
2 cups of apple juice
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of dijjon mustard

Place ham in large roasting pan slice off most of the fat and score in diamonds, just because it looks pretty no other reason.






Pour the apple juice over the ham. Cover completely with parchment paper, then cover ham and roasting pan completely with heavy-duty foil, sealing tightly at edges of pan.



Put the ham in to a 325 oven and bake for about 2 hours until the ham is well heated through, as it is sealed the apple juice does not dry out and really keeps it beautifuly moist. Remove ham from oven. Increase oven temperature to 375°F. Remove foil and parchment from ham. Mix the mustard and brown sugar together.



 Spread this mixture evenly over the fat layer on ham.



 Place back into the oven uncovered until ham is well glazed, spooning any mustard and sugar glaze that slides into roasting pan back over ham, about 30 minutes.

Transfer ham to serving platter; let rest at least 15 minutes. Slice ham and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment