Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hazelnut meringue with nutella cream

For Easter dinner I wanted to make a special dessert, and I had 4 egg yolks in my fridge left over from making custard, so a meringue dessert was in order.  I got the inspiration for this from the Donna Hay on line magazine, which I highly recommend.  The pictures are beautiful, and the lay out of the magazine is innovative, and works as a resource so much better than taking the printed version and converting the pages to screens. I changed the recipe a fair bit and my pictures are not nearly as beautiful, but it tasted great any way



4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1 cup of ground hazelnuts
2 cups of whipping cream
2 heaped tablespoons of nutella


Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then add the sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Then continue to whisk for 4 or 5 minutes until the mixture is thick and glossy.


Add the cornstarch and ground hazelnuts.




I ground the hazelnuts right before using them in a mini food processor, but I think you can buy them ready ground, also I bet ground almonds would be good too.

Draw 2 circles the size of small dinner plates on to a piece of parchment paper. I used a dinner plate as the template to draw around.



Divide the mixture evenly between the circles and spread out as smooth as possible.


Place in a 250 oven for 30 minutes.  Then turn off the oven and leave them to cool in there for a further 30 minutes. This will help stop them from cracking too much.


While the meringue is cooking and cooling, put the whipping cream and nutella in to a small pot.


Heat until the nutella melts then pour in to a small bowl or jug and refrigerate until used.


Just before serving place one meringue circle on to a serving platter, whip up the nutella cream and spread half over this circle top with the other meringue and then spread the remainder of the cream on top.

I decorated with Easter eggs as it was Easter, but actually I think roasted hazelnuts would look good. I also sprinkled with a little sieved cocoa and served.


This served 9 with no leftovers, and though quite rich was a very good dessert, and that is according to a non dessert eater.


No comments:

Post a Comment