Saturday, April 28, 2012

Individual pavlovas

My good friend Nancy's favourite dessert is pavlova, or in fact any dessert made with meringue, when she heard that I had made a hazelnut meringue with nutella cream she was sorry she had missed it, so I decided to make a meringue based dessert last Saturday over at her house.


4 egg whites
1 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of vinegar

Whipped cream and fruit

Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then start adding the sugar a 1/4 cup at a time whisking well between each addition.  After the sugar has been combined continue to to whisk for about 4 minutes, the meringue should be stiff and glossy and the sugar should be dissolved completely add the vinegar and whisk for a further minute.

Plop the meringue on to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and shape into rough nest shapes.


This made 6 nests, but you could of course just make one large one.

A close up of one of the nests

Place in a 250 oven for one hour and then turn the oven off and leave in to cool for a further 1/2 hour.


These were a little whiter than they look in this picture, I will blame it on the light and the camera.  Though I have to say, I do not mind a little colour on my meringues.  These will keep for several days at room temperature.

To serve place a pavlova on a dessert dish.


Top with whipped cream and fresh fruit of choice.  For us it was strawberries and mango, but really any fruit will do.

 I have to agree with Nancy meringue based desserts really are good.  She tells me that if you have any left over meringue it goes very well broken up in to yogurt for breakfast.  I will have to take her word for that, as I left the extra meringues at her house.

No comments:

Post a Comment