Saturday, October 1, 2011

Turkey chili

In an ever more desperate attempt to find tasty food that is weight watchers friendly I have turned more than once to ground chicken or turkey.  This is something that in the past I have never used, but anything made with ground beef is very high in calories and therefore not on the menu right now.


This week the weather is really feeling like fall and on the way home from work on Wednesday I felt like chili, so I thought I would try it with some ground turkey that I had in the freezer. I added a fair bit of carrots as I was trying to make it as healthy as possible and due to the short time available I used canned beans, not usually my preference.

Serves 4


  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1 garlic clove sliced
  • 1lb of ground turkey or chicken
  • 1/2 tablespoon of chipotle chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon of regular chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
  • 3 carrots chopped
  • 3 large tomatoes chopped (or equivalent canned)
  • 1 can of red kidney beans (though any beans would do)


Sweat off the onion and garlic in the olive oil until they are transparent. Then add the ground turkey and stir until the meat is cooked through.



Add the carrots spices and chopped tomatoes salt and pepper.




Cook for about 10 minutes and add the drained rinsed canned beans.

Ready for the beans
Cook for a further 10 minutes and serve with a little grated cheese on top.  I enjoyed this dish and it filled my need for warm comfort food with out very many calories (or weight watcher points) 14lbs gone and 12 more to go!

Eating at home is so much easier as you can control what you are eating I had the unfortunate experience of going out for lunch this week and after checking the menu the only thing I could have was green salad with the dressing on the side.  For someone who loves food this is a disaster, and really negates any pleasure from eating out.




No comments:

Post a Comment