Friday, October 7, 2011

Mexican lettuce wraps - Mexican pot roast part 2

On the weekend I made Mexican pot roast and there was some leftover. Normally I would have made a type of fajita wrapping the heated up meat along with cheese salsa and peppers in a flour tortilla.  But I was on my own for dinner so I decided to make a take on one of my favourite Chinese dishes lettuce wraps, it is really the only time I like to eat iceberg lettuce.



I replaced the flour tortilla with an iceberg lettuce leaf, replaced the hoisin sauce with a fresh salsa and added cheese. You could of course use ground beef (or turkey) if you had no left over beef, but this is certainly a light refreshing way to use left over roast or pot roast beef.

For 2

For the filling
  • 6 oz left over beef pot roast chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of chili powder (or less to taste)
  • 1/2 cup of beef stock (or left over juices from the roast or even water)


Quick fresh Salsa
  • 1 tomatoes chopped
  • 1/2 a small onion chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro chopped
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
  • Hot sauce to taste

1/2 an Iceberg lettuce with the leaves separated
1 cup of grated cheddar cheese.
Sour cream would also a good addition



Add the beef chili powder and 1/2 cup of beef stock in to a small pan.


Simmer until the beef has heated through and the liquid has almost completely cooked off, about 10 minutes.

While the beef is cooking mix together all the salsa ingredients in a small bowl.  You could use a pre-prepared salsa, but this fresh salsa really worked well with the freshness of the lettuce. Normally I would have served the salsa, beef and grated cheese in separate bowls, but it was only me and the less washing up the better, so I put everything except the salsa on to one plate.

Mexican lettuce wraps for one

Put all the ingredients in to the lettuce leaf and wrap it up as if you were using a flour tortilla.


I really enjoyed this, it only took me about 20 minutes to put it together, it was using up leftovers in the fridge and it was relatively low in calories, almost a perfect meal. A spoon full or two of sour cream would had been good, but this would have added to the calories and anyway I didn't have any.


No comments:

Post a Comment