Sunday, October 23, 2011

Crisp refreshing salad

Before going to the movies a good friend invited me down for a quick home made soup dinner. To go with this I made a salad.  The soup was a cream of Brussels sprouts (delicious) and so I wanted a crisp light salad to counterpoint the richness of the soup. I perused my fridge and this is what I came up with.


3 small Lebanese cucumbers chopped
1 bunch of green onions chopped
1/2 container of grape tomatoes cut in half
2 heads of romaine (cos) lettuce cut or torn in to pieces
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.

Dressing
1 garlic clove grated
Salt and pepper
1 handful of chopped parsley
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of olive oil.

First I mixed the dressing ingredients in the bottom of the salad bowl and then added the onion and cucumber.


I mixed thoroughly to coat the cucumber and I then added the tomato and gently stirred them in




I topped this with the lettuce and grated Parmesan.


This sat until I was ready to serve (or in this case carry down the street for dinner) at which time I tossed everything together.


This filled the brief it was crisp light and the lemony dressing cut any richness in the Brussels sprout soup.  This was a delicious soup made with low fat buttermilk, and a nice light dinner, leaving room (and calories) for popcorn at the theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment