Tuesday, October 4, 2011

spinach soup

My roof has rotted to the point that part of it had to be taken off and it along with some rather important beams be replaced. My husband and brother in law have been working their butts off to get it back on before the monsoons and cold weather come in earnest.  I am useless as a handyman, so the least I could do was make a nutritional lunch for the workers.


I found some fresh local spinach at the store so I decided to make some spinach soup to for  their well deserved lunch.

1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 large clove or garlic sliced
1 large bunch of fresh spinach washed and roughly chopped
1 medium potato chopped
3 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup of milk or (if you were not on a diet) cream
1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground nutmeg.

Sweat off the onion and garlic in the olive in a large pot until the onion is transparent.




Then add the spinach, potato and stock.


Simmer until the spinach has completely collapsed and the potato is falling apart about 15 minutes if you cut the potato in to small pieces longer if they are bigger.


Then blend either in a regular blender or use a hand blender in the pot which is what I did. Add the milk or cream and the nutmeg.  Bring back to a simmer and serve.


This soup was much appreciated and along with some fresh crusty bread it made a lunch, good enough for some amateur roofers.  I am glad to say I have a roof on my house again though there is still some scaffolding in the stair well waiting for the someone to spray the ceiling.

1 comment:

  1. How do you sweat off onions in an olive? The tricks you have up your sleeve!! :))

    This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete