Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Cactus Club Broadway and Granville

Yesterday I very reluctantly went in to work on what was supposed to be a day off as there are somethings I find really hard to do when everyone is there and constant interruptions.  My good friend Nancy was in the same situation, so we decided to make the best of a bad lot and meet up for a glass of wine and something to eat.  The Cactus Club is next door to where I work so a frequent haunt. I find the people who work there very friendly and efficient, though the waitress "uniform" does nothing for me, then I am a middle aged women not a middle aged man. But I have got over that now and surprisingly the food is very good.

We ordered 3 appetizers as sharing small bites is really my preferred way to eat, that way you get taste lots of different things.  We ordered korean style bbq pork lettuce wraps, beef carpaccio and the prawn and ravioli trio.  These are all Rob Feenie signature dishes, and though obviously he is not cooking them, he knows how to put flavours together.

The prawn and Ravioli dish was recommended by one of the waitresses and I probably would not have ordered it otherwise.  But it ended up being my favourite of the 3 dishes.

Ravioli with prawns (Sorry about the picture quality)
The ravioli was stuffed with butternut squash and topped with a large perfectly cooked prawn and a delicious cream sauce with a hint of truffle.  I think a little truffle goes a long way like sesame oil just a hint is wonderful a little too much is overwhelming.  There were 3 large ravioli and we finished off the sauce by dipping the bread in it.

Beef carpaccio is something I often order at restaurants as I love it and it is not something I make myself, and this is a very good beef carpaccio I have had many times.




The beef is topped with arugula Parmesan and crispy fried capers.  But what makes this dish really good is the crostini that comes with it.


The crispyness of the bread that comes with the beef carpaccio compliments the soft beef beautifuly and by the way is very good for mopping up the sauce from the ravioili.

Then finaly we had the korean lettuce wrap, this lettuce wrap comes with braised pork shoulder shredded,asian slaw, kimchi, chopped ginger and green onion, korean chili bean sauce and spicy yogurt.


The pork was delicious as were the accompaniments and when you wrap it all in a crispy lettuce leaf it tastes almost health.

Well the Cactus Club is a formula restaurant with many outlets, but I have to say the Broadway and Granville branch does a good job of what they do, and I will continue to go for my after work glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment