Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Roasted vegetables

Roast vegetables is a an old standby of mine that I cook on a very regular basis, in the winter they go well roasted in the oven along with a roast meat or poultry of any kind, and in the summer they are a regular on my barbecue.


My favourite vegetables to roast are Bell peppers, eggplant, onions, zucchini, fennel, mushrooms.



This weekend I had

1 Japanese eggplant (the long thin one)]
2 very large portabello mushrooms
2 red bell peppers
1 onion
2 tablespoons of garlic olive oil from the Garlic confit

Toss all the ingredients together and put in an oven proof dish.



Cook in 350 to 400 oven for about 1/2 hour until the vegetables are soft and slightly charred.

The garlic oil added a new dimension to these all ready wonderful vegetables. 

 I had some left over so on Tuesday when I came home late from work and needed to throw together a meal just for me I decided to use both  the delicious  garlic olive and left over roasted vegetables.

I put some pasta on to cook. I had some Pasta Ferri which is a hand rolled pasta imported from Italy. While the pasta was cooking I added a couple of garlic cloves from the garlic confit and a couple of tablespoons of the garlic olive oil along with a few hot pepper flakes in to a small high sided saute pan.


I squashed the garlic cloves a little and heated them up with the oil, when they were hot I added the leftover roasted vegetables which I had cut up a little. Stirred until they were warmed through, then as soon as the pasta was cooked I drained it and added it to the vegetables.


stirred the whole thing together and ate it with a light green salad.


This was wonderful and just what I felt like I think I will always try to have that garlic oil and confit on hand it tastes so good and adds such a rich complex nutty flavour.


No comments:

Post a Comment