Sunday, January 16, 2011

Garlic confit

After posting about the daring cooks challenge I checked out a few of my fellow daring cooks to see what they had produced.  It was great, so many takes on the theme at Stephfood I found garlic confit.  What a revelation, I could just imagine using this garlic in pasta sauces, soups and salad dressings and how wonderful would that oil be. I had to make some.



2 heads of garlic choose ones with large cloves
Olive oil to cover (depends on the size of your pot I needed about 1 1/2 cups)

2 heads of garlic 
Peel the garlic and put in a small pot and cover with olive oil.


Put on a medium heat until the oil starts to bubble a little then turn very low for about 20 minutes until your house is filled with the heady smell of roasting garlic and the garlic is starting to turn golden.  You do not want it to colour very much just soften.

Sizzling garlic
Take off the heat, let it cool down and put it into a clean jar.




It is very important to keep the garlic completely covered with oil if you want to keep it for a while.  I'm thinking I will take mine up to Pender Harbour next weekend and play with it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks amazing!! And like you mentioned, it could be used in so many ways.. Wow, maybe I should make me some too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely should it was so easy and I have already used the oil to roast some vegetables Yum. And my son used two of the garlic cloves today for his version of my beef short rib recipe.

    ReplyDelete