Monday, January 17, 2011

Cuban style Pork loin roast

Let me start by saying I have never been to Cuba, though I would like to go some time, so I can not vouch for the authenticity of this recipe.  I was looking for some different way to cook a pork loin roast this Sunday and after a while of looking at recipes on the Internet I found many references to Cuban pork roast.  From what I can gather this would traditionally be done with a fattier cut of pork that gains from a long cooking time like a butt roast, but I had a loin roast and I am trying to cut down on the fat (a constant problem, I love fat).



The common seasonings appeared to be sour orange, oregano and cumin, up here in Canada, sour orange is not an ingredient I am going to be able to get, but many recipes suggested mixing half lemon and half orange so that is what I did. Any way this was a big hit with the family and I will certainly be cooking it again, and I would like to try the more traditional long slow cooked method too.  But any way this is what I did.



Marinate


  • Juice of 1/2 an orange
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 tablespoon of cumin
  • 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper.


1 pork loin roast
1/2 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of chicken stock

Add the marinading ingredients into a large ziploc freezer bag then add the pork.


I only had about 3 hours to marinate mine and actually it tasted wonderful, but it would probably be even better with an over night marinade.

Place the roast in a large oven proof frying pan and brown both sides.


 Then add the marinade in a roasting dish and cook in a 350 oven for about 1 1/2 hours until the pork is cooked through

Take out and rest for about 10 minutes. The sugars from the juices really caramelized beautifully on this.

Add 1/2 cup of white wine and 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the cooking juices in the pan.  Stir and concentrate down until it tastes good.  Slice the pork and pour the pan juices over.


This was demolished and I will definitely do this again.  If anyone knows anything about Cuban food I would love to know more.


No comments:

Post a Comment