Sunday, April 21, 2013

Uova al Pomodoro (eggs cooked in tomato sauce)

On Saturday morning I went for a walk with a couple of good friends and after an hour long walk and a leisurely cup of coffee it was time for lunch.  I have been craving eggs recently, I am not sure why, but if I have a craving for a certain food I try to give my body what it wants.  So I made this dish for the two of us, we had it for lunch, but it could easily be for breakfast or even for dinner in my case.


Feeds two for breakfast or lunch one for dinner

1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 yellow onion chopped
10 small tomatoes (I used strawberry tomatoes but any small one would do)
2 ribs of celery
1/2 hot chilli pepper
2 eggs


Heat up the olive oil in a non stick frying pan, and the onion and cook until translucent then add the remaining ingredients, except the eggs and some salt and pepper.


Stir and cover for about 5 minutes.  You want the tomatoes to be collapsed and the celery softening.  Taste for seasoning, and add a little more salt and pepper if needed, tomatoes do really love salt and pepper.


Make two dips in the sauce and break the eggs in to the hollows.

 
The eggs will start to cook right away.  Then put a lid on again for a couple of minutes until the whites are cooked through and the yolks are still runny.



Top the eggs with a good grinding of pepper and a little salt then scoop out the eggs with the surrounding sauce.


We had this with a slice of toast and my egg craving was satisfied.  


By the way I treated myself to a new camera and I am very pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment