Saturday, April 6, 2013

Eggplant lasagna

Actually this is kind of a cross between lasagna and eggplant Parmesan.  I had two small eggplants that I wanted to use as a side dish to go with my rosemary lemon garlic barbecued chicken and so I came up with this.


Feeds 6 as a side dish, but probably only 3 if this was your main dish.

2 small or 1 large eggplant sliced in 1/4 inch thick slices
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 cup of fresh ricotta cheese
1 jar of canned tomato puree
1/4 cup of bread crumbs
1/2 cup of grated  Parmesan

Brush the eggplant with olive oil and lay the slices on a preheated barbecue or you could grill them in the oven on a roasting tin. Cook on both sides until they are cooked through and are a little charred




Spoon about 1/4 cup of tomato puree in the bottom of a small baking dish then top with 1/3 of the eggplant.  Top that with 1/2 the ricotta and another 1/2 cup of tomato puree.


Put another layer on top and then top that with a final layer of eggplant and the remaining tomato puree and a sprinkling of breadcrumbs.  Finally a good grating of Parmesan cheese.


Bake this in a 400 for about 15 minutes until it is bubbly and hot and the top is golden and crunchy. This was delicious and much lighter than the usual fried eggplant and I could easely eat this as my main course. I am afraid I do not have any pictures of the finished dish as I was too busy enjoying the beautiful evening with friends on this amazingly warm March evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment