Sunday, April 7, 2013

Quick and easy jerk style pork tenderloin

The other night I was suffering from insomia, this happens about once a month or so, and when it does, I get up and find something to watch on the tv or utube, or perhaps a season of Downton abbey on the ipad.  Well this evening I started watching 15 minute meals by Jamie Oliver.  I watched many episodes, I really like the way he cooks, we have similar styles, fast and furious and when we are finished the kitchen is a disaster.  In these shows he talks a lot about getting dinner on the table in under 15 minutes, but he does not discuss how long it takes to clean up afterwards.


This recipe comes from that night of Jamie Oliver, he was using some interesting techniques to speed up cooking processes and this sauce was one of them.  The ingredients are based on what I remember and what I had in my fridge. This made enough for 2 of us for dinner and 3 lunches for me.  I am lucky in that I am quite happy to eat the same thing for lunch several days in a row as long as it is something I like.

2 pork tenderloin
2 tablespoons of ground coriander
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tomatoes
1/2 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of ginger
1 small red chili pepper
handful of mint
handful of cilantro
1 teaspoon of honey
Juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon of vinegar


This sounds like a long list of ingredients but it comes together really quickly.  Cut the pork tenderloin into 1 inch slices.




Squash flat with the palm of your hand and sprinkle with the coriander and salt.  Heat the olive oil up in a large frying pan, then add the pork in one layer.


While the pork is cooking place all the other ingredients in a food processor, I used a mini one, but a regulare one would be fine.


Wizz it up and it is good to go.  Turn over the pork and cook until just cooked, which does not take very long at all.


Take out the pork and keep warm.


The bottom of the pan is covered in good crusty brown bits.


Pour the wizzed up sauce ingredients into the frying pan and put on high.


Stir and cook for about 5 minutes that is all it takes as everything is in such small pieces.


Pour this over the pork, and serve.


This sauce was full of flavour and so quick, I had dinner on the table within the requisite 15 minutes. I served this with rice that I added frozen peas to just as the rice was cooked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment