Sunday, December 16, 2012

Avocado Chicken salad

Avocado seems to have taken over from the quinoa as the new super food. It is high in antioxidants, helps lower cholesterol and of course it tastes great.  Though anything that creamy tasting has to have fat in it,  half an avocado has the same grams of fat as one and half tablespoons of mayonnaise, most of it being unsaturated. I saw this idea somewhere, I would like to give the due credit, but I am afraid I do not know where it was that I saw it, but it was an idea I had to try.


I had a cooked chicken breast left over last week and it produced chicken salad for one sandwich and topping for a salad for a quick dinner as well.

1 large cooked chicken breast (or perhaps left over turkey)
1 avocado mushed
Juice of one lime
4 green onions chopped
2 tablespoons of cilantro chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Mush up the avocado until there are few lumps and then add the lime juice, green onions and cilantro.


Mix together and taste for salt and pepper, and then add the chopped chicken.




Mix together and voila delicious chicken salad.  I had this the first night topping a green salad, which I dressed with a light lemon dressing. I am trying to eat light healthy meals in between all the snacking and rich heavy food which is everywhere at this time of year.


The next night I had it as a filling in a whole wheat sandwich and it was even better.



 I preferred this to the regular chicken salad, and I had dinner within 5 minutes of walking in the door, which with the long days I have been working recently was perfect. The chicken and avocado salad is about 350 calories and it did me two meals, oh happy day. Of course I won't tell you how many chocolates I ate out of all the chocolate boxes hanging around the office.


Anyway I will definitely keeping this in mind with my left over turkey this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment