Saturday, December 29, 2012

California spring rolls

I had seen this idea on pinterest, though I did no more than think, what a good idea, I love the flavours of california rolls, but could do with out the rice.  So making spring rolls with the california roll ingredients would give you the best of both worlds.


I figure you could use prawns or crab meat, I used fake crab meat I am afraid, but actually they tasted delicious and several people said that they preferred them to the regular spring rolls.

6 spring rolls
6 rice wrappers
small romain lettuce sliced
1 avocado peeled and sliced
1 cup of shredded crab or prawn sliced
3 tablespoons of japenese mayonnaise

Gather all the ingredients and a large bowl of cold water.


Dip one rice wrapper in the cold water and wait about 15 seconds until the wrapper has started to feel a little less like plastic and is pliable.  It will continue to soak up water as you use it.  Put a little lettuce in the centre of the wrapper top with avocado a drizzle of mayonnaise and top with the crab.




Fold in the sides and roll up.


Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.  Meanwhile make the wasabi mayonnaise dipping sauce. I got this recipe from epicurious.com but I adjusted the quantaties to give it a more soy wasabi flavour.


1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons wasabi paste

Combine all the ingredients.


I added double the amount of wasabi and soy than this after tasting.  This is a delicious dipping sauce and would be good with vegetables, the original recipe was for dipping asparagus into.


Slice in half just before serving and serve with the dipping sauce.  A light refreshing appetizer to cut all the richness.



No comments:

Post a Comment