Sunday, December 9, 2012

Winter bruschetta

One of my favourite appetizers is bruschetta, but the tomatoes in the winter, though better than they used to be, are just not as flavourful as the tomatoes in August.  So I thought if I slow roasted them first it would help.  I was correct this mixture had a very intense flavour and made a wonderful bruschetta.


2 cups of cherry tomatoes sliced in half
1 small sweet onion or red onion finely chopped
small bunch of basil chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil

Lay the tomatoes on a parchment lined cookie sheet.


Cook in a 250 oven for around 2 hours, or the length of time it takes you to go grocery shopping for the party that night. The tomatoes will look shrivelled slightly caramelized  but still have some juice in them.




Scrape these in to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients.  If you do not line with parchment paper, you would probably leave a lot of the tomato stuck on your cookie sheet.

Add the remaining ingredients.


Stir together and you are done!  I spooned a teaspoon of this mixture on top of goat cheese spread on toasted baguette slices.  For some reason I did not take a picture of the finished platter, but trust me when I tell you it looked and tasted very good.  This mixture could stand on its own on the baguette as well, or just eaten from the bowl with a spoon actually.


No comments:

Post a Comment