Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Baked potato soup


At our Christmas Caroling party I always make soup to be served in Christmas mugs for when the cold wet (it always seems to be raining) return.  This soup was the ultimate in warming comfort food soups. I am afraid it was almost impossible to get a good picture of it, and I failed to get one in the cup as I was too busy serving and forgot. I found this recipe on a southern food site though I have changed it a little.


For 6 to 8 servings

2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
4 cups milk
4 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, scooped out of their skins and mushed up a little 4 cups
4 green onions, thinly sliced
10 to 12 strips bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:

In a large pot over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour; stir until the butter is all absorbed and the flour has cooked a little.


Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. Add potatoes


and onions. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until soup begins to bubble. Reduce heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes. Cook the bacon until it is crisp and drain off any fat that has rendered out.




Add the bacon and the green onion and serve.


I added the green onion just before serving, so that it would be still green and fresh. The original recipe had cheese and sour cream added as well, I omitted these as I really thought it was rich enough.  I kept it warm in a crock pot as the carolers were singing around the neighborhood, and it thickened up some, and could probably have done with a little more milk added a the end to thin it out.  This was not a soup that you could drink from a mug a spoon was necessary but it was deliciously rich and warming.

No comments:

Post a Comment