Saturday, February 18, 2012

Easy chicken lettuce wrap

One of the dishes that I almost always order in Chinese restaurants is lettuce wrap. It is tasty, fresh and I do not think that it can be too loaded with calories.  Iceberg lettuce is one of my least favourite lettuces, but it works very well in this dish, I think the only substitution for iceberg would be romaine (or cos as they say in the old country).

I decided to make a quick weeknight version for dinner and this is what I came up with. I used ground chicken thighs, but ground turkey, pork or even beef would work as well.


For two
1 tablespoon of olive oil
About 2 cups of raw ground chicken
1 bunch of green onion chopped
1 large garlic clove finely chopped
2 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
3 tablespoons of light soy sauce
1 cup of steam fried noodles
1/2 cup of prepared hoisin sauce
1 Iceberg lettuce.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the ground chicken.


Cook until the chicken has lost it's translucency, then add the green onion, garlic and ginger.



Cook for about 10 minutes on a medium heat stirring often until the chicken  and the onion is cooked through and just starting to brown.  Add the soy sauce and continue to cook until the liquid has been absorbed this should only be a couple of minutes.

Prepare the lettuce leaves by washing and seperating each leaf, then pile the single leaves on a plate alongside the hoisin sauce in a small bowl.



When you are ready to serve toss the steam fried noodles with the cooked chicken and serve alongside the lettuce and sauce. I sprinkled a little chopped cilantro on top, because I had some and I love cilantro.



To eat pick up a lettuce leaf and spoon a little hoisin sauce on to it.


Now spoon about a 1/4 cup of the chicken and noodle mixture on top of the hoisin sauce.



Fold up like a burrito and consume.  This was quick and easy, using only one pot and could easily be made for one by halving the filling ingredients.  I will have to experiment with other ground meats and different flavourings.

No comments:

Post a Comment