Sunday, February 19, 2012

bacon and egg salad

I have been working long hours the last while due to year end and other complications at work. Often I get home after everyone else has had their dinner. Frankly I do not want to know what that dinner consisted of, and as we are all adults now I trust them to make wise choices.

I however do want to have something tasty but speed is of great importance, so if I do not have any convenient left overs or something made ahead, I often opt for a quick stir fry or salad.  This a bit of a rift on the warm salads that are popular in France, but using the ingredients that are always in my fridge.


I love hard boiled eggs in a salad and am always drawn to them on a menu.  So this is my very quick and easy weeknight breakfast salad for one.

1 hard boiled egg
3 rashers of bacon
3 or 4 green onions chopped (or 1/4 sweet onion thinly sliced)
2 or 3 cups of salad greens (I really like either arugala or the mixed with herbs)
2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar



Cook the bacon until it is crisp remove from the frying pan cut up in to pieces.

In a pasta bowl toss the salad greens and onion.  Sprinkle the cooked  bacon on top and then place the egg over the top of the salad.


The amount of fat you are going have left in the frying pan is going to depend greatly on your bacon, you need about a 2 tablespoons if there is too much pour off, if there is not enough add some olive oil.

Add the balsamic vinegar to the warm fat in the frying pan, stir it in and then pour over the salad.  This took me about 10 minutes from walking in the door to being on the table and was very tasty.


It is useful to have some hard boiled eggs in the fridge, my mother used to boil some up on the weekend and write B on them and put them back in the egg carton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment