Thursday, February 9, 2012

Greens Restaurant San Francisco

If you are going to San Francisco, as well as wearing some flowers in your hair, you really should go to Greens Restaurant for lunch.


I say lunch because the view of the bay and the Golden Gate Bridge is priceless.  I went to Greens for the first time about 20 years ago, and I have been back every time I have been to San Francisco. We went on Saturday lunch time and luckily we had a reservation, because even after all these years you still do need a reservation.


Greens Restaurant is located in a converted warehouse at historic Fort Mason only a 15 minute walk along the waterfront from our hotel adjacent to Ghiradelli Square. It was a beautiful sunny day and we were lucky to get a table right at the large window which takes up the entire wall facing the Golden Gate Bridge.

View from the table
Saturday and Sunday at lunch time the menu is in fact a brunch menu. Greens is a Vegetarian restaurant that serves creative vegetarian cuisine using seasonal organic produce. The restaurant maintains a close relationship with local farms and endeavours to serve fresh local and in season.



I ordered Yellow Finn Potato Griddle Cakes with manchego and chives. Served with eggs over easy,
romesco, salsa verde, coquillo olives and mache   for 15.75


This was an absolutely delicious like everything else I have ever had there.  I had yellow fin potatoes for the first time here 20 years ago and have been a big fan of them ever since. Both the sauces had bright fresh flavours that went well with the egg and the potato cakes.

My husband ordered Scrambled eggs with yellow finn potatoes, poblano and chipotle chilies,
scallions, cheddar and cilantro. Served on corn tortillas with Rancho Gordo chili, crème fraiche,
tomatillo and pumpkin seed cilantro salsas   for 15.00


Luckily he shared with me as this too was very tasty.  There was a little heat from the peppers but not too much and everything tasted so good that you did not miss the fact that there was no sausage or bacon.

Normally we do not order dessert, as neither of us has a particularly sweet tooth.  But I also had Meyer lemon the first time 20 years ago, and we decided to order the Meyer lemon desert to honour that discovery. So we ordered the Meyer lemon huckleberry pudding cake with tangerine caramel sauce, huckleberry compote and candied Buddha hand for   8.75


This was a wonderful cake, and we both enjoyed it but I did find the candied buddha hand (a type of lemon) a little too sweet but really the only complaint I have to make about the meal.

I will continue to go to Greens every time I go to San Francisco, as long as they continue to serve food of this quality. My husband is also sold, as though he is no foodie he is all for eating with a view.

No comments:

Post a Comment