Sunday, January 6, 2013

Crispy chopped salad

Saturday evening we were invited over to a good friends for dinner.  She was making Mexican lasagna and I offered to make a salad to go with it.  I love cilantro and I would usually have used it in this salad; but her husband really does not care for it, so I switched it up a little. Though it was a cold wet dark evening I wanted to make a salad that was crisp and light to compliment the rich slightly spicy main course.



Dressing

  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon of honey
  • 4 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove grated
  • Salt and pepper
Salad



  • 1/2 bunch of large green onions chopped
  • 1 container of small tomatoes halved
  • Small bunch of basil chopped
  • 1 sprig of fresh mint leaves chopped
  • 1 heaped cup of bean sprouts
  • 1 romaine lettuce
  • 1 avocado chopped

Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and add the avocado to stop it from going brown.





Add the salad ingredients into a salad bowl.



I was taking this with me, and so I put the lid on the dressing and packed it with the salad.



This would work well as a layered salad to pack for lunch. The mint and basil went well with the avocado and I will use that combination again instead of cilantro.  Here is a picture of the amazing Mexican lasagna that Nancy made.


She served this with sour cream and fresh salsa, delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment