Sunday, January 27, 2013

Asian pulled pork

It is no secret that pulled pork is one of my all time favourite things to eat, and since it was my birthday too, along with 3 others this weekend, this was my vision. Not only is pulled pork delicious but a great choice for feeding a crowd, the cut of pork is cheap and really you can not overcook it so there are no timing issues. This weekend with 12 ladies for three days both these considerations were key.  Unfortunately I forgot my camera and I was relying on others to take pictures so I do not have a picture of the finished dish, but here is a picture of the view I was enjoying in the kitchen each day.


Nancy picked up a large pork butt roast at Hopcotts with the vision of pulled pork in mind. I decided to change the flavours up a bit. I have made it with Indian flavours and Southwest or Mexican flavours, but this time I decided to use Asian flavours.



Pork butt roast
1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
Thumb size piece of ginger thinly sliced
2 large garlic cloves thinly sliced.



Place the pork roast in a large oven proof pot with a lid or a slow cooker.  Add the remaining ingredients.


Put the lid on and place in a 300 oven for around 4 to 5 hours, or in a slow cooker on low for about 7 hours.

When it comes out the pork should be falling apart, so shred with two forks and mix in with the cooking juices.  The cut we had was not too fatty, but if your piece has a lot of fat ,which it can sometimes, then drain off some of the fat before shredding.

We served this with some Sechwan green beans ably put together by Christine, fried noodles with spicy peanut sate and a simple coconut rice.

I think I can say without a doubt this was the most delicious pulled pork I have ever had, the unctuous soft richness of the pork went so well with the slightly salty, sweet spicy flavours of the sauce. Sadly no pictures of the finished product, but here is a picture of two of the birthday girls enjoying their time in the kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment