Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Olympic mini cup cakes

At work we decided to celebrate the coming London Olympics by having our own mini Olympic games.  So what is more appropriate for a mini Olympics than mini cup cakes.



We organized 4 events, running relay, egg and spoon race, 3 legged race and shot put (with bean bags), there were six teams China, Romania, India, Philippines, Canada and of course Team Great Britain.


The event lasted about an hour and there was much hilarity as batons (bananas) were squashed, equipment failed (nylons tying legs together ripped) and sadly Canada and India failed to win even one medal. We put this down to Canada being really much better at the Winter Olympics and India's athletes were underfunded and lacked proper equipment (there nylons ripped). I am proud to say however that Team GB won the medal count, we can only hope the same is true at the larger games in London.




My fellow organizer of this event came up with the brilliant idea of promoting our games at the morning coffee break to the entire building by providing mini cup cakes in the shape of the Olympic rings.  This idea did not seem quite so brilliant the day before when I was baking half the required cup cakes on the hottest day of the year so far. But it proved to be very popular and a novel way to get peoples interest piqued.

I made brown sugar vanilla cup cakes and Debbie made chocolate and plain vanilla.  We had decided instead of using different coloured icing we would use sprinkles to get the required colours.  If I was to do this again I would use dust instead of sprinkles, which is what we used for black and it stuck much better to the icing.


We brought the cup cakes to work with out icing on them as they were much easier to carry that way, and then I quickly iced them all while Debbie added the sprinkles.  I have to say my experience of a summer of decorating cakes about 40 years ago sure came in handy that morning.


My Father made the medals, which he printed an image of the London medals in gold, silver and bronze ink on to wooden discs which I threaded a purple ribbon through a slot.  They were very imppresive and are now being displayed proudly in peoples cubicles.  I do not have a picture of them and any way we were worried about copy right infringement from the IOC.

Thank you Debbie for all your hard work, not only with the cup cakes but everything else that made this little event so successful and also to my Dad for the amazing medals.




No comments:

Post a Comment