Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Oven baked chicken and chips

Well after a couple of weeks in Europe and a further week in the Okanagan stuffing my face it is time to slow down and try to lose some of those extra pounds.  Though the summer is full of drinks on the patio, ice cream, and other fattening delights it is also full of fresh fruits and vegetables, and lots of daylight for running (or walking) in.



So tonight I tried to make a meal that was filling enough to satisfy my hunger, but low in fat and starch, so I went back to an old favourite from my weight watcher days.

To serve 2
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in to chunks (speeds up the cooking)
  • 1/2 cup of low fat plain yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon of mustard (I used a grainy mustard but any kind would do)
  • 1/2 cup of fine breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup of fresh herbs (I used parsley, basil, rosemary and sage, but any fresh or dried herbs would do.
Mix the yogurt and mustard together.


Then mix the breadcrumbs and herbs together with a little salt.



Roll the chicken in the yogurt, making sure plenty clings to the chicken.


Then roll in the herbs and breadcrumbs.


Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (just to help with clean up)  bake in a preheated 400 oven for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and and the coating crispy.

While the chicken was cooking I sliced two small potatoes and tossed in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and placed them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet for the same period.  I turned them both half way through.

To go along with this I made a salad with equal amounts of tomato and cucumber 1/4 onion chopped  which I tossed with the juice of one lemon chopped basil mint, salt and pepper.


It was a light healthy meal on the table in about 3/4 hour from walking in the  door and the total meal is 11 weight watcher points incase you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment