Monday, May 19, 2014

Almost healthy potato gratin

I love potatoes, they are probably my favourite food.  I like them boiled, mashed, fried any way I can get them.  Potatoes sliced and cooked with cheese in the oven is found in almost every European culture, in France it is called potatoes au gratin, in North America it is called scalloped potatoes.  What these two dishes have in common is cream or milk and lots of calories, so I decided to lighten up the dish and made a version with much less cheese and chicken stock instead of cream.


I used asiago cheese as that was what I had in my fridge.  Asiago is an Italian cheese, and is strong flavoured similar to paramazan.  Any cheese would do, but the stronger the cheese the less you need to use.

This made a dish that served 6

6 medium potatoes thinly sliced, I used my new mandoline and managed not to slice my finger!
1 yellow onion thinly sliced
1 cup of grated cheese
1/4 cup of grated parmazan
1 cup of chicken stock.

Put a layer of potato slices in the bottom of a baking dish, I used a deep sided pie plate.  They should be just overlapping and cover the bottom completely. Then layer 1/4 of the onion on top.


Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top then a 1/4 of the cheese.




Keep adding layers.


My potatoes were very thin, so I managed to get 4 layers and then added a fifth layer of potato and top that top layer with the remaining cheese and the parmazan.


Pour the chicken stock down the side and cover with foil.  Bake in a 350 oven for about 3/4 of an hour until the potatoes are soft when poked with a knife.


Put back in the oven for a further 15  to 20 minutes until the cheese is crunchy and golden.



This was delicious and I did not miss the cream and milk at all, and certainly did not miss the calories.  


No comments:

Post a Comment