Saturday, March 9, 2013

Ecuadorian chocolate brownies

When we were in Ecuador we visited a chocolate factory and we brought home a large puck of unsweetened chocolate so for our Ecuadorian reunion I had to use this to make dessert.  One because we had bought it in Ecuador, but two because it was a lot of chocolate and would make dessert for a large crowd.


Luckily this came with a recipe on the package, or it would not have known how to use it.


The quantaties were large and the directions a little cryptic, but I think this could be used by halving the amounts and using unsweetened chocolate to replace the large puck which comes in a more conventianal bar.

I melted the butter and chocolate over a very low heat, my stove has a melt setting on one of the burners, and I got to use it for the very first time.


While this was melting I whisked together the eggs and added the vanilla.  I also added one tablespoon of chili powder.  In this quantaty of chocolate this did not make them hot but just added a little depth of flavour.



When the chocolate was completely melted and was luke warm I added the sugar and the chocolate mixture to the eggs.


Then I folded the flour and salt to the mixture and poured into a large parchment paper lined tin and sprinkled with malden salt.


There was a little too much batter so I baked the remainder in a loaf tin, and this I added another tablespoon of chili powder to replicate the chili chocolate that we had in Ecuador.


I baked these at 350 for about 40 minutes for the small one and 45 for the large one.


I am afraid I do not have a picture of the cut up brownies but anyway they are just plain brownies.  These were good brownies and I particularly liked the chili ones, but it was so satisfying to cook with a special ingredient brought back from a trip. Then to share it with people who were there and therefore could also connect to it, made them even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment