Saturday, January 4, 2014

Chicken breast with yogurt and potatoes

It is January, and that means only one thing new years resolutions.  I, like the vast majority of the western world, every year resolves to get in to shape and lose weight.  This year I have an added resolve to lose 17lbs by June 27 when I retire, I want to look good at my retirement party and I want to be in good shape to enjoy a long healthy retirement.  I publicly declaring this to make me accountable. So the first thing to do is start tracking everything you eat, stepping up the activity and cooking lighter.


Boneless skinless chicken breasts are one of the best choices when cooking light, but they can be so dry and tasteless, so my challenge is find ways to make them moist and tasty with out adding too much fat.  For Christmas this year my Father bought me a mandolin, something I have been wanting for a while and this was the first time using this to slice my potatoes, and it was great, quick and easy to clean up.


I sliced them fairly thin so that they would cook quicker.

Feeds two

2 medium to small potatoes sliced fairly thin
1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
2 chicken breast
1/2 cup of low fat plain Greek yogurt
1 clove of garlic grated or put through a garlic press
1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese

Toss the potato slices in the olive oil and salt and pepper and place in the bottom of small roasting tin.




Place the chicken breasts on top.  Mix the yogurt and garlic with a pinch of salt and spread that on top of the chicken.


Place in a 400 oven for about 20 minutes.  Pull out of the oven put the parmesan cheese on top and replace in the oven and cook until the potatoes are soft and the chicken cooked through.  I used large chicken breasts and they took about 40 minutes.


The cheese turned golden brown on the top and the juices of the chicken and yogurt soaked into the potatoes.  This hit all the marks, tasty moist and healthy.  The chicken was good, but the potatoes were to die for, luckily I only used small potatoes.


The chicken breasts were so large that I only ate half of mine and used the other half on top of my salad for lunch the next day.  As I write this one lb down 16 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment