Saturday, December 28, 2013

Light dinner of sable fish with green olive sauce

It was the day after boxing day and We were turkeyed out.  Boxing day I had turkey eaten straight from the fridge dipped in cranberry sauce, lunch I had turkey sandwich with all the trimmings and Dinner was heated up turkey and gravy served with fried up left over mashed potatoes and vegetables.  Don't get me wrong I love turkey but I was craving something different and lighter. So I went for a walk down to the local fish store to see what looked good, and I found sable fish (black cod)


That is all I bought as I wanted to use up what I had in the fridge.  What I had in the fridge was green olives, green onion, basil and 1/4 bottle of white wine so I used this to make a light sauce to go with the fish.

Serves two

2 pieces of sable fish or any firm white fish such as halibut.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
3 green onions
1/4 cup of green olives pitted and chopped
1/4 cup of white wine
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 large basil leaves shredded

lightly salt and pepper the fish.


Heat the olive oil up in a small frying pan and pan fry the fish.




As this fish was quite thick and I had the oven on I placed it in the oven for a few minutes to cook through.  When the fish was cooked I removed it from the frying pan and added the green onion and olives.


Stir for about a minute to just soften the onion slightly then pour in the wine, lemon juice and basil.


Stir in then simmer until reduced by half.  Serve poured over the fish.


We had this with roasted cauliflower tossed in Parmesan cheese and kale salad.  I light very healthy dinner to make up for the rich heavy food that is so prevalent over the holidays.  Not only was it a light healthy meal it was a quiet evening at home alone also not something that we have had in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment