Sunday, December 15, 2013

Home made olive oil crackers

This is something that I have wanted to make for a while. I love the artisan crackers that seem to be everywhere these days, but they are very expensive and really it is just flour and olive oil so how hard could they be?  Anyway I had a Christmas party for work colleagues so I decided to give them a try, and indeed they are not difficult at all. I found the recipe on 101cookbooks.com



3 cups of all-purpose flour (or half semolina flour half regular)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
toppings you like – sesame seeds, caraway seeds, rosemary, coarse sea salt

Whisk together the flour and salt. Add the water and olive oil and mix together

before kneading 
Knead on a floured counter-top or in a mixer for 5-7 minutes. The dough should be just a bit tacky - not too dry, not too sticky to work with.

After kneading



When you are done mixing, shape the dough into a large ball. Cover with a clean dishtowel or plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 30-60 minutes.

When the dough is done resting, cut into smaller pieces and roll out until it is very thin.  You could use a rolling pin but I chose to use a pasta machine.



Brush the top with olive oil and add toppings, I did some with caraway seeds and malden salt and some with rosemary.


Bake in a 400 oven for between 10 and 15 minutes until golden.


I did not poke mine with a fork as suggested so they puffed up a little, but really I am fine with that.  These went well with the cheese, and would also be good served with hummus.


I rather liked the impressiveness of the large sheets and served them that way, but they could be broken up and served that way as well. These did make a good addition to a cheese board and cost almost nothing!




No comments:

Post a Comment