Sunday, December 8, 2013

Easy mediteranean Pork chops

Saturday night I was looking for something easy to make and since we have such cold weather right now, I wanted a dish that would cook long and slow in the oven.  I used the oven because I was at home, but in fact this would have been good in the slow cooker too.  I did not get inspiration from anything but what I found in my fridge and freezer, as I did not want to go shopping.  What I had was 4 pork chops, a can of crushed tomatoes from the summer, and some olives, so for a very cold mid winter evening I came up with a dish with a taste of summer.


This made enough for 4 or 2 for dinner and 2 lunches to pack to work!

4 pork chops
1 quart of home canned tomatoes or Italian jar of tomato puree
1 large garlic clove sliced
8 pitted olives cut in half
the zest of one lemon taken off with a potato peeler

Place the pork chops in a casserole and top with the remaining ingredients and a little salt and pepper.


Cover with a tight fitting lid and place in a 350 oven for 2 hours, during which time you can busy yourself with quilting, and preparing for Christmas.




After 2 hours the tomatoes had concentrated down and the lemon rind had given off their goodness and almost given up. I removed what was left of the lemon rind and served with roasted brussels sprouts and twice baked potato with Parmesan cheese and truffle salt, (it was Saturday night after all).




Could a recipe be any easier? And though I say so myself this was very tasty, the tomato sauce was intense and the pork chops falling apart.  A good dinner for when you are too busy doing other things and want a tasty meal any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment