Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fresh corn chowder

Fall is here and we are just coming to the end of the all the wonderful local crops such as corn and tomatoes, so now is the time to make the most of them.  I can only eat so many boiled buttered ears of corn, never mind how good they are, I can not say the same for husband however, who could eat fresh buttered corn for dinner every night and I mean just corn!


After the Terry Fox run a couple of weeks ago, there were 6 for lunch, so I used the 5 ears of corn that I had left over from the previous night to make soup.


I am sure you can buy some special gadget for stripping corn, but I do not have such a thing so I had to do it with a knife.  This works fine but does make quite a mess.


Soup for six

4 slices of back bacon (regular bacon would do, but I am trying to cut out fat)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 onion chopped
5 ears of corn stripped
5 small yellow potatoes chopped into about 2" chunks
6 cups of chicken stock
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh sage
1 cup of milk



In a large heavy pot cook the bacon, until just crisping up then add the onion.


Cook until softened and translucent, then add the corn, potatoes and sage.


Stir in and add the stock.


Simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes, until the corn and potatoes are cooked, add the milk and add salt and pepper to taste.

This was a hearty soup, full of the flavours of fall and much appreciated by the Terry Fox walkers.


No comments:

Post a Comment