Saturday, October 5, 2013

Chicken cacciatora

I believe I got my love of food from my father, though he never really cooked, getting good food was always important.  Today he sends me recipes that he sees on the Internet that he thinks I will be interested in.  I take this as a request for me to cook it for him, and so being the dutiful daughter I made the chicken cacciatora recipe from The Guardian newspaper that he had emailed me recently. Though of course I changed it a little, I just can't help myself, I get that from my mother!


2 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken legs, divided into thighs and drumsticks (skin removed if desired)
1/2 heads of garlic, cloves cut in half
1 small onion chopped
Small bunch of rosemary
1 carrot, peeled and diced
Half a glass of white wine
250ml decent chicken stock
1/2 quart home canned tomatoes or small can of chopped tomatoes

Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Fry the chicken in batches until golden brown on all sides.


Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Fry the garlic, onion, rosemary and carrot, with a little more oil if necessary, for a few minutes until slightly golden.





Pour in the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to dislodge any crusty bits, then simmer until well reduced.

Add the stock and tomatoes,


and replace the chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn down the heat and cook gently for 45 minutes, until the meat is falling from the bone.


Remove the chicken and boil down the sauce until it is thick and rich, then taste for salt and pepper.

We had this with home grown carrots and potatoes and some local fresh green beans.


This was advertised as the perfect chicken cacciatora, not so sure if it is perfect, but it was certainly very good and a perfect early fall comfort food.


No comments:

Post a Comment