Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lower fat shepherds pie

I have called this lower fat, because I think anything cooked with ground beef can't really be called low fat.  I got this idea from a friend at work.  She and I and a couple of others have formed a "support group" to check in with once a week to help us with our weight loss journey. I think the thing we all have in common, is that this is a lifetime journey for all of us, and we enjoy food and do not like to feel deprived.  She described this recipe that she had seen on .skinnytaste.com, though she sent me this link I am afraid I had already gone ahead and made it based on her description.


I love shepherds pie and this sounded like a good way to make it a little healthier.

1 lb of lean ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
4 carrots chopped
2 cups of chopped green beans or peas
2 cups of tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
A good dash of worcestershire sauce
3 large Yukon gold potatoes
2 tablespoons of low fat sour cream
2 tablespoons of milk
A little Parmesan cheese for the top

Add the first 3 ingredients into a large pot and stir until the ground beef is cooked.  I find that there is enough fat even in lean ground beef that you do not need to add any.


Now add the chopped mushrooms.





This is a lot of mushrooms and you might have to add some and wait until the volume has decreased before adding the rest.


When the mushrooms have collapsed down add the tomatoes wocestershire sauce and vegetables.


Stir in and taste for seasoning.  Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes to half an hour. While this cooking boil and mash your potatoes adding the sour cream and milk, but no butter.  I have to say with the sour cream added I did not really miss the butter. Place the cooked meat mixture into suitable dishes.  I made one large one that would serve 4 (or two with left overs for lunch) and two individual ones to freeze.


Top with the potato and a little sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.  This only makes a fairly thin layer of potato, certainly thinner than I would usually make, but in fact it was fine when I ate the dish. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.  Place in a 350 preheated oven until heated through and the top is starting to go golden.


Replacing half the meat with mushrooms actually in some ways made it taste better, surprisingly there was not an overwhelming mushroom taste just a wonderful savoury taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment