Monday, December 5, 2011

Puree of white winter vegetables with Roast beef

When ever I make a turkey dinner  I always cook Trio of root vegetables which is carrot, turnip and sweet potato mashed together.  This dish is similar and comes from a book by John Hadamuscin  as well.


I love both parsnip and celery root and at this time of year they are some of the few vegetables that can be bought that are grown locally.  I had 18 people for dinner on Sunday, I was serving roast beef and I thought that this dish would complement the beef.

A beautiful and very large prime rib roast
Puree of white winter vegetables

Equal portions of:
Parsnip
celery root
rutabaga
1 pear
butter to taste.

Peel and slice the vegetables and chop in to equal size pieces then place in a large pot of cold salted water.




Bring to a boil and then simmer until the vegetables are almost cooked about 15 minutes. Then add the pear which has been peeled and chopped, simmer them all together for a few more minutes until everything is soft.

Drain making sure that you drain very well so that your puree is not to sloppy.  Mash with a potato masher along with butter and some fresh ground pepper.  I used about 2 tablespoons of butter for the amount of vegetables I was serving.

You could serve these right away or as I did make them ahead put them in an oven proof dish and then when the beef is taken out of the  oven put them in, making sure that you have not turned off the oven, this has never happened to me honest.


The time it takes for the meat to rest and be carved is plenty of time to heat these through ready to be served.  I like vegetables that can be made ahead so that you are not rushing around at the last minute especially when you have a kitchen full of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment