Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Oat cakes

The first time I took my husband back to the old country I introduced him to oat cakes with cheese, he loved them.  Back then you really could not buy them in British Columbia except perhaps a speciality store, so whenever I came back from England I bought him a package or two of Oat cakes.


They are one of my favourite foils for cheese, and these days with the ever shrinking world, you can pick them up at almost any grocery store.  But when I found a recipe for making them in a cook book celebrating the food of London I had to have a go at making them.

11/3 cups of medium ground oatmeal (I used instant)
1 tablespoon of flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
11/2 tablespoons of melted butter
1/2 cup of warm water, or as needed

In a bowl stir together the dry ingredients, using a wooden spoon stir in the melted butter and warm water. At first it seems impossible that this will turn in to a dough.


But using your hands continue to mix it as the oats absorb the water and swell, and all of a sudden after a couple of minutes miraculously it is a dough, you may have to add a little more water. While the dough is still warm turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface Roll out the dough until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out the cakes with a 21/4 inch plain cookie cutter.


Place them on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. 


Bake in a 370 oven for about 15 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool, they can be stored in an airtight container for up to a month.

These go well with a sharp cheddar or even a ripe brie and are a really good addition to any cheese plate.  I was surprised at how easy they are to make and I will  make them again, though I might grind the oats a little smaller in the food processor first.  The purchased oat cakes come in course or fine grade, mine were definitely course grade.


No comments:

Post a Comment