Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Turkey kofta

I am attempting to lose weight at the moment, this is very hard for me as I love food and I am not prepared to give up cooking, entertaining and eating out.  Therefore I have been going to the gym a little more, not something I really enjoy and trying cut down on calories.  So far 10lbs down, but 10lbs more to go. I have been eating less beef and more lean pork and chicken and trying new ways of cooking that use less olive oil and butter. This is a dish that I came up with last week that fits all the criteria and tastes good too.


Lamb kofta is something I love and make quite regularly, but ground lamb and beef for that matter are really not in the cards right now, so I tried making kofta with ground turkey.

1lb of lean ground turkey
1/2 onion chopped
1 garlic clove grated or finely chopped
2 sprigs of mint finely chopped
1 sprig of flat leaf parsley finely chopped
1 sprig of basil finely chopped
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of coriander
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste.

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.


To make sure you have enough seasoning, I put a teaspoon of the mixture on a plate in the microwave for a few seconds and taste.



Another day I formed this mixture into a hamburger size and ate it like a hamburger with hummus instead of mayonnaise ketchup etc. but this day I formed in to kefta size patties.


I barbecued these patties and as there is little or no fat there is no flaring up and they only take a few minutes on either side.  They do need to be cooked through but not dried out.


I served these with some whole wheat pita bread and yogurt which I had added some grated cucumber, salt and garlic.


I had warmed the pita bread on the barbecue briefly and there was some Greek style salad to roll up in the bread as well.


I nice light fresh weight watcher friendly meal which we shared with my brother in law and youngest son who had just returned with tales of walking the west coast trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment