Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cantinetta dei Verrazzano

We were looking for lunch one day and the foccacia breads in the window  Cantinetta dei Verazzano drew us in.


We were greeted by an exuberant waiter who spoke English with a slight American accent. It turned out his father was American, but he was born and brought up in Italy.  He was a big sports fan and was cheering for the Boston Bruins to win the Stanley Cup, we tried not to hold this against him.

The inside of the restaurant
Our waiter said he would bring us a selection of different breads and sandwiches, so we put our trust in him and his choice of wine.


We received a platter of cut up sandwiches and foccacia breads my only complaint was that they were cut in to 3's and there was 4 of us so dividing was a little difficult.  I think we all agreed that our favourites were the zucchini blossom foccacia and the pea sandwich.

Zucchini blossom foccaccia
The wine he brought was also good, none of us noticed that the wine had the same name as the restaurant, in fact this restaurant belonged to Castillo Verrazzano a very old winery in Tuscany.  So when we asked if he could recommend a winery for us to visit, of course he could and he gave us a pamphlet for the winery, and I am very glad he did.

Again for dessert he said to trust him again and he would bring a selection of tarts, I must say he was a very good salesman.

One plate of tarts
The second plate of tarts
We disagreed on our favourites here, I was definatly loving the chocolate, but they were all fine.  As I am writing this I realize I was still tasting at this point as it was on the first day in Florence, and I could taste even the very delicately flavoured zucchini flower foccacia.


No comments:

Post a Comment