Wednesday, January 4, 2012

San Antonio guacamole

On our recent visit to San Antonio Texas we went to a restaurant called boudros on the river walk and the waiter made a guacamole table side that was the best guacamole that I can ever remember having. So I decided to try and replicate it for the New Years party.



Included in this recipe is what the waiter described as "fire roasted tomatoes and pepper" I don't remember what pepper it was, though I do know that it was not jalapeno, but up on the sunshine coast in December that was all we could get so that is what I used. Also I did not have a fire in which roast them so I had use a hot oven.  Even with these changes actually it turned out very similarly to the original and well worth the little effort.

10 campari tomatoes
2 jalapeno pepper
1/4 red onion chopped
3 ripe avocado's
Juice of two limes
juice of one orange
bunch of cilantro
salt and pepper

Up to a couple of days ahead "fire roast" the tomatoes and jalapeno pepper by placing in a foil lined roasting tin and roasting in a 450 oven.


Cook until the skins of the tomatoes and peppers are starting to blacken about 1/2 hour to 3/4 of an hour.




Then place the vegetables in a food processor, I used a mini one but any size would do. The skin is still on, though it doesn't really look like it in the picture.


Whizz until they are almost pureed but still with some lumps as this is how it was at the restaurant.


I then put the fire roasted vegetables in a container in the fridge for a couple of days until about an hour before party time.

Chop the onion add to a bowl and scoop in the avocado and all the remaining ingredients.

Then following the waiters demonstration at the restaurant use two knives scissor fashion until the avocado is chopped up and all the ingredients are combined. The lime keeps the avocado from browning and the orange juice adds a wonderful note to this guacamole which along with the roasted tomatoes and jalapeno really set it apart from your average guacamole.  I will certainly be adding this to my repertoire on a regular basis.




No comments:

Post a Comment